Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Name is Poui

We arrived in India roughly 9 days ago. When we got here, man oh man was it hot! Spent a day in Chennai then hopped on a train for a 9 hour ride south to Madurai. Spent the night on the train and it was a rough ride but definitely better than sitting in a cramped airplane seat.

After arriving in Madurai, we drove 2 hours up into the mountains for a youth camp. That night it actually got really cold. Cold?? In India?? All people could tell me before I left was how hot it was going to be. I haven't gotten any kind of sickness in my stomack which I am very thankful for. Howeve, instead of getting stomach sick I've had a runny nose and cold like symptoms since I landed.  Maybe I'm having allergies. Could I be allergic to India? Who knows?

Anyways getting back to the title. Working for the organization we are with is a man named Jesuraj. Even though he doesn't speak a whole lot of English we get along great and he has given me the name "Poui," which means lie.  This started when he said, "Look! Elephant!" I turned around and he said, "Aha! Poui!" And I've been Poui since then.

Another fun story is that one night I was laying in my bed in this hostel where we were having a conference. The lights are out in the room and I'm laying on my bed and all of the sudden there is a bright light shinning in my face.  It was Tugs with his flashlight. He said, "There is a rat in the bathroom." Getting up to investigate I could hear the rat in the bathroom that was right next to our room. Enlisting the help of Sam, a 13 year old Indian boy, and some teenage girls we went into the bathroom to search. I thought it would be funny to give everyone a scare so I yelled like I saw the rat and all of the girls screamed, found out I was kidding and immediately began to slap me. Hahaha! It was worth it!

After leaving the mountains we got back down to where it is hot. So hot that you sweat while sitting.  Still adjusting and there are plenty more fun stories to tell that I do not have time for right now. But hopefully I will soon.  Till you hear from me again!

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you are doing great! Praise the Lord! -- Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your up to your usual shenanigans, even in India. :)

    ReplyDelete