Sunday, May 12, 2013

Taking Inventory

Its the night before I leave on an adventure that will change my life.  I have no doubt about this mostly because of how many people have told me this over and over again.  I do not say this to make fun or criticize, but how much change are we talking about here?  What if I come back from my trip and people say, "Oh...well you didn't change as much as I thought you would have."  Today is also my birthday, so today has a little more meaning to the phrase, "the beginning of the rest of your life."

Seems like there is a lot of pressure and expectations for me on this trip and how things will be different when I come back.

Silly me, I haven't even told you where I am going.  Starting tomorrow, May 13th, I will begin my adventure set out for Chennai, India to spend 2 and a half months there, returning on August 1st.  My time there will be spent in an internship with 3 other team members from Bryan College, where I also attend.  The team members are Tugs (Tommy), Claire, and Jasmine.

When I tell people about my trip to India, the big kicker that always gets the big surprised face is when I tell them that I will only be taking one backpack with me.  In this backpack I will have: 3 pairs of pants, 6 shirts, 5 pairs of underwear, 1 rain jacket, toothbrush, toothpaste, 2 rolls of toilet paper, and several other miscellaneous items.  All of these things in 1 backpack for 2 and half months.

Its all really crazy and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  I'm really nervous and I wish I could just already be there without having to wait and go through all the painful waiting and traveling.  But that is part of the journey I suppose.

To close I will quote my friend Tugs as he also wished me a happy birthday.  He simply said, "India beckons."  India is beckoning and when I come back I'll be changed one way or the other.  With all this being said: Lets get this adventure started!!

1 comment: