Friday, March 17, 2017

Things I Wish I Had Said: "I don't believe you."

So I'm visiting a seminary that I have applied to and am considering attending to get my Masters of Divinity in Christian Ministry.  During the visit you meet with the Admissions team and they talk up the school, give you the history, talk about the professors, how awesome they are, how you should come, etc.  I get it.  That is their job, to get people to come to the school.

So during this visit, we get a tour of campus.  The tour was great and the campus was beautiful, and I really like the school.  We arrive at the end of the tour, and like many tour guides, our guide was a current student.  We had just been through two hours and a lunch of a brief history of the seminary and all of these various things that are pulling for us to come to the school and that THIS PLACE is the place where I need to come for my seminary education.

At the end of the tour, the tour guide asked, "Does anyone have any questions?"

Not being shy, I pipe up and ask, "Tell me some things that the seminary is not good at and needs to improve on.  What are some bad things about the seminary?"

The tour guide responded, "Honestly, I can't think of anything."

What I said: "Oh...ok." And left it at that.

What I should have said:  "I don't believe you."

No person, place, institution, government, or business is perfect.  To pretend otherwise is a lie, and of all places that should be first to admit its lack of perfection, it should be an institution where falling short of perfection is ingrained in what it teaches. A salesman should have the integrity to list the flaws and shortcomings or their merchandise.

Life Lesson: If you have to sacrifice honesty in order get someone to buy into something, you are selling the wrong thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment